A garage door spring allows you to operate your garage door with great ease. It makes the super-heavy garage door lightweight, and thus, you do not have to put a lot of force to open it. So, when this spring breaks down and stops working, it can create difficult situations for you. For one, you have a garage door that won’t open and a car that you cannot take out. And two, you have this constant dilemma about whether to repair the garage door spring yourself or call a professional.
There are two kinds of garage door springs for residential usage- extension springs and torsion springs. Extension springs run parallel to the sides of the door. On the other hand, torsion springs are placed above the door’s top frame.
Fixing a garage door spring can be an overwhelming and time-consuming task. Thus, most people consider hiring a garage door repair service for the job. However, if you want to handle the project yourself, that is possible too.
DIYing Your Garage Door Spring Repair: Is It Worth It?
Repairing the garage door spring yourself is usually meant for pro DIYers. This is because fixing them requires special tools and experience. An average garage door weighs around 100 to 150 kilograms. So, you can imagine what will happen if you fail to handle it properly.
However, if you still want to do it yourself, here are some important things to remember:
- Arrange special repairing tools, including winding bars, clamps, adjustable wrench, etc.
- Make sure to have protective gear like leather gloves and eye goggles for safety.
- Begin the repairing process by taking the right measurements of your garage door.
- Unplug your door opener and carefully clamp the garage door to the track. Now, put the winding bar into the bottom hole of the winding cone to keep the spring in its place. Now, use the wrench to loosen up the two setscrews.
- Open the nuts and bolts located on the spring bracket to measure the length and width of your existing springs. Buy a set of new springs, lift cables, and bottom brackets.
- Install the new spring over the tube and secure the cones in the center bracket to lock the spring in its place.
Is It Worth It To Repair Your Garage Door Spring Yourself?
Repairing your garage door spring by yourself can help you save some bucks, depending on where you live. On average, you save anywhere around $200 to $50 by DIYing your garage door repair. However, the more important question here is, is fixing your garage door spring yourself worth it?
The garage door is one of your house’s biggest moving components, and repairing it on your own is not a cakewalk. Remember, a broken garage door spring is a serious problem, and a lot of things can go wrong if you do not have the right tools or experience to fix it. If you are not careful enough, you can even end up in an emergency room!
Thousands of individuals end up injuring themselves while trying to repair their garage door springs. And this would be much more expensive than the few hundred bucks you may or may not save by repairing your garage door spring on your own. Thus, it is always better and wiser to let an expert tackle the job.
Get The Best Professionals to Fix Your Garage Door Spring!
If you are looking for the best garage door repair in Post Falls or the best garage door repair in Rathdrum, Same Day Garage Doors can be an excellent choice!
At Same Day Garage Doors, our in-house experts are equipped with the proper knowledge, experience, and top-notch tools to deliver outstanding services to you. We will fix your garage door spring in record time and at affordable costs. Contact us today!